A former senior Southern Poverty Law Center official has been arrested as federal prosecutors pursue a case alleging that millions of dollars in tax-exempt donations were secretly routed through outside accounts and ultimately used to fund people involved with extremist organizations.
Heidi Beirich, a former top SPLC official, was arrested Wednesday in connection with the federal investigation. According to a 26-page indictment obtained by Fox News Digital, prosecutors allege that at least $4.1 million in donor funds was funneled between 2007 and 2023 through bank accounts purportedly belonging to businesses unaffiliated with the SPLC.
Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche said the indictment accuses Beirich of participating in efforts to establish bank accounts, use fictitious company names and make payments that were allegedly misrepresented.
"I think, as alleged in the indictment, this individual participated in the scheme as alleged," Blanche said. "I believe she was part of the effort to open bank accounts and complete fictitious companies names and make payments that to individuals for reasons that were not, that were not accurate as described."
FBI Director Kash Patel went further in a post on X, describing Beirich as being at the "center" of the bureau's ongoing investigation.
"As alleged, Heidi Beirich was at the center of our ongoing investigation into SPLC and their previously alleged criminal activity," Patel wrote, alleging that donors believed their contributions were being used to dismantle violent extremist groups while some of the money was instead paid to senior figures within those organizations.
The indictment describes an unusual and complicated system of paid "field sources." Prosecutors allege some of those sources were leaders of, or affiliated with, violent extremist organizations.
Following an FBI investigation with our DOJ partners: today we are announcing a superseding indictment against the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Director of Intelligence, Heidi Beirich.
As alleged, Heidi Beirich was at the center of our ongoing investigation into SPLC and their…
— FBI Director Kash Patel (@FBIDirectorKash) August 12, 2026
According to prosecutors, donor money was used for activities that included attending and hosting extremist rallies, recruiting members, establishing or expanding extremist chapters and publishing extremist literature. The indictment also alleges funds paid for materials used to make Ku Klux Klan robes and hoods and conduct cross burnings.
In another allegation, prosecutors say two KKK members who wanted to leave the movement were encouraged by the SPLC to remain and were offered monthly payments and expenses.
A substantial portion of the indictment focuses on a source identified as "F-9." Prosecutors say F-9 infiltrated the neo-Nazi National Alliance and received more than $1.2 million from the SPLC during the period covered by the case.
The government also alleges that Beirich supervised payments to F-9 while maintaining a romantic relationship with him. According to the indictment, the two shared a home and maintained two joint bank accounts.
Prosecutors allege that from 2015 through 2021, roughly $140,000 originating from the SPLC's operating account traveled through an account called "Tech Writers" before reaching joint accounts belonging to Beirich and F-9. That money allegedly represented about 66% of all funds deposited into those joint accounts during that period.
The indictment further alleges that Beirich used donor funds for the couple's personal living expenses.
Another part of the case concerns an alleged 2014 burglary. Prosecutors say F-9 broke into the headquarters of an extremist organization and removed approximately 25 boxes of documents.
According to the indictment, donor money was then used to copy the documents before the originals were returned. Prosecutors allege Beirich knew what had happened and subsequently relied on the copied material for an SPLC "Hatewatch" story.
The government also claims Beirich later paid another source approximately $6,000 in donor money to falsely accept responsibility for the burglary.
U.S. Attorney Thomas Govan emphasized that the allegations will now have to be tested in court.
"The indictment unsealed today reflects the continued work of federal investigators and prosecutors in examining this alleged scheme," Govan said. "We look forward to presenting the evidence in court and allowing the judicial process to determine the facts and the defendants’ responsibility for the alleged crimes."
The SPLC, meanwhile, has denied wrongdoing and previously sought dismissal of the federal case. In a statement to Fox News Digital, the organization said the Justice Department's actions would not deter its work against violent hate and extremist organizations.
"Taking on violent hate and extremist groups is among the most dangerous work there is, and we believe it is also among the most important work we do," the SPLC said. "The actions taken by the DOJ will not shake our resolve."
The organization added that it is "confident in our position" and intends to present its evidence in court.